This is something that baffles a lot of people, not just my students. But ideas are everywhere, you just have to be open to the potential and the possibilities.
|From Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon|
For me, ideas can come from anywhere. Sometimes, they're just teensy little sparks, nothing more than the glimmer of an idea. Sometimes, they're big embers that need a bit of teasing and room to breathe if they're to turn into a conflagration, one with full-on story potential. They're all worthy of writing down.
- TV shows (yes, including reality TV--people are weird and they're weirder when pixelated)
- Video Games
- Pictures (see, this is why Pinterest is good! Okay, I'll quit...)
- The eccentric gentleman who walks everywhere
- Those clouds that formed overhead, looking exactly like a baby dragon unfurling its wings
- The commercial of the guy in the flower-print sarong
Well, pretty much everywhere--you never know when an idea will pop into your head (thus the pens and note pads stuffed everywhere).
Where do you get your ideas?